Firstly, I am not a doctor, I have no medical qualifications, this does not constitute medical advice.

I thought I’d write a quick blog post about this topic as it is something that caused me great anguish and uncertainty for a few months of my life. I also distinctly remember there being very little informative or conclusive advice and so if this post helps even just one woman I’ll feel it was worth it.

Like many women my age I have the contraceptive implant. Firstly, I started with the Implanon, and then I was switched to the Nexplanon sometime in 2014. The Nexplanon was my fourth implant, so I was no stranger to the general side effects and pretty much clued up on how this contraception works.

However, 2 years in to my Nexplanon implant and completely out of the blue I started to get some really crazy side effects that I’d never had before with any of my previous implants:

• Acne and dry skin
  • Excessively swollen sore breasts
  • Mood swings
  • Heavy period and spotting (I’m a lucky one who’d been period free)
  • Phantom pregnancy symptoms

The most worrying side effect though was my mood, there was one occasion where I was crying absolutely inconsolably to my sister on the phone. There was nothing wrong, my life is and was great, I just felt so so heart-achingly sad and depressed and I could not explain it.

I read what felt like the entire internet, clinical studies, the pharma guidelines, everything. And nothing said that you should expect symptoms later on in the product life cycle. I went to a doctor who dismissed me outright “the implant doesn’t run out before 3 years”.

I continued on with it, until I literally couldn’t take it any longer, at one point I even wanted to cut it out of my own arm! That’s how seriously awful it made me feel.

Getting the implant replaced early

I believe – though may be wrong – the NHS prefer not to allow early removal of the implant due to the cost of this medication. I personally believe this may be a contributing factor to the previous doctor’s straight out dismissal of my symptoms.

I went to a different doctor and explained how I was feeling and thankfully she took note of the seriousness of my situation – particularly the mental state that I was enduring.

Even though I was having really bad symptoms at that time I decided that the implant was still the best contraception for me and booked in to get it replaced early. When the Nexplanon is well behaved I think it works really well for me, and particularly well at keeping me childless… which right now is pretty important!

I was hedging my bets that the reduction in hormone being released by the implant (see chart) was causing my hormonal system to try and level itself.

Thankfully that theory seemed to check out as within two weeks of getting it replaced all my symptoms had gone and I was back to my normal level self!

So if you are having symptoms on the Nexplanon after 2 years or perhaps even only 1 year, it may be that the hormone level has dropped as such to cause your body to natural attempt to regulate itself (that’s my hypothesis anyhow!).

What should you do next?

I get a lot of comments on this post about what to do if you are feeling this way so here is some general advice:

1. Don’t panic, as you can see a lot of other women are going through this too so you are not alone!
  2. Make a list of your symptoms and if you can dates/times that they are better or worse
  3. Download a health tracking app like Clue to help you keep track of when you are bleeding and experiencing symptoms
  4. If you think your hormones are out of whack consider getting some private blood tests done – nowadays you can get these online for a reasonable price – have a look at Medichecks and think about having one of the female hormone blood panels
  5. Make an appointment at your doctors and take all of your evidence with you
  6. Report your side effects to Yellowcard as this helps drive drug safety and review

Known side effects of the implant are:

Reported side effects

Very Common

(≥1/10)

Common

(≥1/100 to <1/10)

Uncommon

(≥1/1,000 to <1/100)

Infections and Infestations vaginal infection; pharyngitis, rhinitis; urinary tract infection;
Immune system disorders Hypersensitivity;
Metabolism and nutrition disorders increased appetite;
Psychiatric disorders affect lability; depressed mood; nervousness; libido decreased; Anxiety; insomnia;
Nervous system disorders Headache; Dizziness; Migraine; somnolence;
Vascular disorders hot flush;
Gastrointestinal disorders abdominal pain; nausea; flatulence; Vomiting; constipation; diarrhoea;
Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders Acne; Alopecia; hypertrichosis, rash; pruritus;
Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders back pain; arthralgia; myalgia; musculoskeletal pain;
Renal and urinary disorders Dysuria;
Reproductive system and breast disorders breast tenderness; breast pain; menstruation irregular; Dysmenorrhoea; ovarian cyst; genital discharge; vulvovaginal discomfort; galactorrhoea; breast enlargement; pruritus genital;
General disorders and administration site condition implant site pain; implant site reaction; fatigue; influenza like illness; pain; Pyrexia; oedema;
Investigations weight increased; weight decreased;

Source: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/23824

If you’re reading this and feeling the same, get an appointment with your doctor, you’re not imagining it and it’s definitely worth investigating!

89 replies
  1. Gina
    Gina says:

Thank you so much. I had to go three pages deep in to Google to find your post, and I am glad I did. This should be at the top! I’ve had Nexplanon for two and a half years, and suddenly I am overly tired, boobs are huge and sore, mood swings are mental, I’m getting loads of spots and I am so down it’s unreal. I was putting it down to the implant, but thought it was mad to suddenly get side effects after so long. I live abroad at the moment, so I have to wait until Christmas to get it removed, but just reading this is such a relief. Thank you!

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Gina! I’m really glad that it has put your mind at ease. I know exactly how you’re feeling and it’s really not a nice experience to go through at all! I hope you get sorted soon and take care of yourself in the meanwhile! Amy-Kate x

• Ashleigh booth
        Ashleigh booth says:

I’m the same, bleeding heavily, really painful cramps, sore boobs, the lot, I’m on a waiting list to get it removed and then I might think about the pill as my next option

• Viridiana
        Viridiana says:

Hello,

Thank you for posting all of this! It is extremely helpful to know that there are other women feeling the same way. I have recently began having issues with sleep. I wake up at odd hours of the night and cannot fall asleep. I have also been experiencing the phantom pregnancy symptoms you guys have been discussing. My removal date is Sep 2019. I have had the implant for about two years, and only recently began having more adverse affects. I did have the irregular and missing period at first, breast tenderness, emotional state, etc. but what I have experienced recently is something else. I am seriously considering removal.

AGAIN THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR EXPERIENCES.

• Donna
        Donna says:

Same I thought this too I thought maybe the nipple soreness was from the implant but then I’ve only had it for a year and I see that you ladies have experienced the soreness at 2 do you think it may be something else?

• Shannon
      Shannon says:

Hi I’ve had my implant for two years this week and am nervous I could be pregnant. Since the holiday season began, I have gained a little under 20 lbs (which can typically be normal for me), my boobs are very tender, and I have bumps on my areolas. I’m not sure if these are side effects from the birth control or if I should be concerned.

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Shannon, sounds similar to symptoms I’ve had a few times but no pregnancy just phantom symptoms. Maybe take a test to put your mind at ease? Best wishes, Amy-Kate x

• Shannon h
        Shannon h says:

I have really bad anxiety and thinking about my symptoms they all seem to be things the implant says they can cause early on. Can I ask if your breast tenderness is just on your boobs or all around the aswell? Feels really sore to push on. Also I searched up as I always had spots as a teenager but never acne. I’m now nearly 25 and my face is always covered in big sore spots. Around my cheeks and jaw online it says spots around this area are caused from hormones. The implant seems the best option for me as contraception but it really doesn’t seem to agree with me. I have even previously had my breast produce small amounts of milk because of the hormones the implant produces. It’s crazy.

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Shannon, Yes they are sore all over, I’m actually having this symptom right now and they’ve been sore for the past three weeks! That’s the same how I feel, the side effects aren’t the best but for me it at least means I don’t forget to take my contraception! Amy-Kate

• Rebecca
      Rebecca says:

I’m so glad it’s not just me I have had it in 18 months and my weight has increased so much and my breasts are large and painful all the time my skin so dry and spotty want to cry all the time I’m tired constantly and had a phantom pregnancy and my doctor does not want to listen one tired lady

Hi Rebecca,

If you can try and switch to a different doctor, I had the same problem, the first one was just kind of “deal with it” whereas the second doctor I saw took what I was saying seriously! Ask for some blood tests and see where you are overall for health. Amy-Kate x

2. Carla Granite
    Carla Granite says:

Same as the others! I couldn’t find ANYTHING except insertion side effects and issues after 3 years. I’m 22 months in and I have acne and buttne now, tender breasts, I’m a raging hormone monster, and I bleed way more frequently. Thank you!

3. Gabi
    Gabi says:

Hey there! I am on my 3rd year on Nexplanon and I was wondering if you felt anything similar to what I’ve been experiencing since earlier this year. Since late February I’ve been feeling bloated, like I am constantly swallowing air (despite not hyperventilating or anything of the sort). It’s gotten so bad that I’m almost contantly nauseated (still got an appetite though) and I can not drink water laying down without feeling like it will shoot right back in my throat thanks to the bloatedness. I find it important to mention that I’m 28, never been pregnant, I live happily with my husband, I am not overweight or malnourished, never had anxiety or acid reflux, do not smoke or drink etc. I don’t eat junk food or drink soda frequently either. Stopped drinking coffee and tried dieting on different types of food but nothing made it go away. Sometimes it’s better, sometimes much worse. My posture is pretty bad but that’s about the only thing I can think of besides the implant. Blood test, preggo test, wheat allergy test etc etc came back normal, I am supposedly completely healthy but I can not sleep at night because of the bloatedness and after months now it’s starting to affect my life badly. Have you experienced anything similar to what I described? This darn implant is the last thing I can think of…

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Gabi! Sorry for the delay in response, I’ve been jetsetting for the holidays! I do go through stages of bloating yes but I’d say for me the nausea that affected me more. I do still get that and it does seem to come in stages like a phantom pregnancy. On another note, do you have anything with sweeteners in? That’s just another think about that might be upsetting your system it is getting put in more and more products without our knowledge so just worth a check! Hope you feel better soon, Amy-Kate x

4. Caroline
    Caroline says:

I’ve had nexplanon in since February and I have been having really bad mood swings headaches and feeling depressed on it. I’m thinking of going to ask the doctor to remove it as I cannot cope with it anymore.

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Caroline, sorry to hear you’re having the same kind of symptoms, it’s really tough! Definitely get it taken out if you are struggling, hope you get it sorted and feel better soon, Amy-Kate x

5. Lottie.
    Lottie. says:

Hi there,

Thanks so much for this, I am currently experiencing pregnancy symptoms after about 2 years of having the implant. I was so worried that i’ve taken 3 tests and all have come back negative but the symptoms are a horrible thing to be going through. Do you think if the implant releases less near the end, this means it is less effective at stopping pregnancy?

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Lottie, I have asked this question to my doctors and was told that whilst the drop in hormones can cause a range of symptoms the hormone being released is still at the required level to prevent pregnancy. I was the same as you though and kept taking pregnancy tests because the symptoms were so convincing, alas no pregnancy. Amy-Kate x

6. Cassie Corrington
    Cassie Corrington says:

I am on my 2nd Nexplanon, I had the first replaced in September, so it’s been in 3-4 months. I never had any issues with it. My period went away for 2.5 years, and I ended up getting it replaced when I started spotting, coming to the same conclusion that it starts running out before the 3 years. I’ve never experienced the crazy, depressed hormones until now, and I’m wondering why. It’s only been about 3 months since I got the new one, but I’ve been bleeding for over a week, and I have been oddly depressed. It’s like something I can’t shake off. I wake up feeling hopeless and sad even though nothing g is wrong. Not to mention having a period I’m not used to that feels like it will never end, and I’m trying to get rid of a terrible cough. O just feel so crappy. What would be your advise on where to go from here?

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Cassie, firstly if you’re feeling really bad please go to your doctor as they need to know what you are going through. I think it is useful to be aware of how you are feeling, I actually started tracking how I was feeling using the Clue app, to see if there is any correlation between other symptoms. As you get older your hormone profile naturally changes so that may be why you’re seeing symptoms now that you haven’t before. I found going to the gym really helps me too, or just going for a walk to get my body moving. Hope you feel better soon, Amy-Kate x

7. Ashley
    Ashley says:

Finally found some answers via your post! I’ve had the implant in for about 2 years 8 months. Due out April time this year. Went 15 months straight no periods was fine. But lately I’m constantly hungry, tired no matter how much I sleep. Been so depressed! I’ve also had brown spotting and bloody discharge it’s all over the place. I’ve had bad skin, stomach pains. The lot. Took a pregnancy test which was negative but it really had me worried! Reading your post has made me realise I just need it out sooner rather than waiting out the full time! I hate the implant and won’t be having another put in! But your post has put my mind at ease so thank you! – Ashley

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Ashley, sorry to hear you’ve had a bit of a rubbish time but glad the blog post helped! If it’s not right for you, it’s just not worth the wait. Hope you get sorted soon! Amy-Kate x

• Caroline Loose
        Caroline Loose says:

I’m having crazy symptoms too I was on a period last week and now I think I’m getting another one and also feeling sick a lot. I’m going to the doctors next week and I’m going to ask them to remove it as it’s a nightmare isn’t it x

8. Caroline
    Caroline says:

I feel like I’m ovulating on it can that be possible? I’ve had it in nearly 12 months now and if so could I get pregnant on it?

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Caroline, nothing is impossible but it still remains that this is a very effective form of contraception so it is not likely that you could get pregnant. I’ve had the same kind of feeling and so far it’s always turned out to be nothing, my Dr reassures me that these side effects are normal. Hopefully you can get sorted with your DR, if it’s stressing you out it might be worth trying something else.

Amy-Kate x

9. Teresa
    Teresa says:

Hi! This is my 2nd time on the implant. The first time I had was great no symptoms of any kind at all! But I took it off so I can have my period for a little while. I got the implant back in sept 2017 it’s been about 4 months and I’ve noticed horrible!!!! Mood swings I just pick fights with my husband and I’ve even considered if I’m bipolar! Can it really be just the implant??

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Teresa, it certainly can. Emotional lability (or mood swings to you and I) presented in 6.5% of women in clinical trials for Nexplanon. 6.5% is quite high so it is considered a frequent side effect. If it’s quite extreme then I’d definitely consider seeing your doctor! Amy-Kate x

• Lauren
        Lauren says:

Teresa,
        The mood swings sound like the ones I’ve been having that have been getting increasingly worse since April 2017 when I had nexplanon put in. I have had the same issue with picking fights with my boyfriend and having the most insane mood swings. He says he doesn’t even recognize me anymore. I hate that others have been experiencing what I have, but don’t feel so helpless and alone anymore.

10. Lauren
    Lauren says:

I’ve only had Nexplanon since April 2017, almost a year now and since I got it I’ve been having insane mood swings, my boyfriend doesn’t even recognize who I am emotionally. I am trying to figure out a general timeline of how long it could take for my mood to go back to pre-nexplanon status. My boyfriend says that I always look like I am about to cry and I get upset over stupid stuff, like I got mad at him today because he went downstairs to play Xbox with our roommate, I even get super mad and jealous over him spending time with his 5 year old son who I love and adore.

11. Ali Brog
    Ali Brog says:

Hi! I’ve had my Nexplanon for almost 3 years, I’m about 3 months shy of that mark. I’ve had my period for over a month now but up until this point Nexplanon was working great! I was a little emotional at the beginning but I feel fine now and the only problem is the period. Do you think getting it replace will help? I feel as if I’ve had the same situation as you but I’m getting married in June and I don’t want it to cause crazy problems for the big day! Thanks in advance for your advice!

12. Charlie
    Charlie says:

Mine due out in March but ive only just realised from your post that Ive been suffering for nearly 3 years…heavy periods, spotting, headaches, nausea, depression, mood swings.
    Im done. Never again. Its coming out next week.

13. Kate
    Kate says:

I just wanted to say thank you so much for writing this post, it’s calmed me down after a tearful evening spent wondering ‘what the hell is wrong with me?!’ I’m in exactly the same position as you – Nexplanon in for exactly 2 years and never had any side effects with it before, until suddenly 3 months ago I started irregular bleeding/spotting (after no periods at all for 2 years), noticeably worse skin, sore breasts and a very sudden onset of depression/anxiety symptoms. I thought I was going insane. I’m going to a clinic to get the implant removed tomorrow and fingers crossed it’s the root cause of all of this and I’ll go back to being me again.

Hi Kate,

I’m so pleased the blog post has helped you out! It’s such a confusing whirlwind of emotions. Hope the removal goes well and that you spring back to your old self! Amy-Kate x

14. Clare
    Clare says:

Hi had mine in for 2 years and ive been back to the doctors afew times about it, i still have periods as normal they have never stopped. Today is my 3rd day of my period and i feel awful, low, tearful, anxious, dont want to go out, tired, dizzy. you name it i feel it. I have a history of anxiety and depression but on normal days i feel fine. I told my doctor i think the implant is contributing to my mental state he said if i was on the pill then probably yeah. I know we can all get a bit moody etc but not to feel this ill. I have booked into see the nurse nexr week i want it out and have had thoughts of doing it myself. Im 33 and this is the 1st time iv ever used contraception. Does itmake anyone else feel like they are going mad or raged with anger but want to cry at the same time? Xx

15. Bell
    Bell says:

Hi! So before I had Nexplanon i was taking the contraceptive pill and I didn’t really notice the change but I had become this person who had all this attitude and would tell everyone off even my boyfriend, I didn’t realize or even think if it was the pill.
    So I decided to get on Nexplanon because it was more convienent and I was forgetting to take my pill.
    When i first tried to get it the doctor had inserted it incorrectly and it came out. So i had to wait another month to get it. I did not have birth control for 2 months at the time. So I finally got it and slowly but surely i became SO EMOTIONAL I would cry at everything and not only that but I would yell and cause fights with my boyfriend. I don’t know what happened to me I miss my old self when I wasn’t this firey ball of rage. Not to mention my periods have lasted for 3 weeks. I got married a month ago and my husband I have not had sex yet because I been on my period the whole time! Sometimes i even feel depressed and anxiety but life is going great. So I came to terms with what it could be last night after I sobbed and yelled for two hours because my husband brought home beer and I wanted him to drink water! :/. It made sense at the moment but thinking about it now, he probably wouldn’t have married me if i did that beforehand. It was insane to even me. So I’m thinking now to get it removed and not to go back on birth control again.

Amy-Kate says:

Bless you Bell, it’s horrible when you going through stages like that and you just do not feel yourself. Hopefully when you get it taken out you start to feel a bit more yourself.

Best of Luck, Amy-Kate x

16. Brit
    Brit says:

THANK YOU!

I’ve had my implant since March 2016. I have bled since day one on it. I bleed 3 weeks on 2 weeks off. it’s insane. I went to the doctor for it last year and they said it was completely normal and just to stick it out. I woke up yesterday with sore boobs, a symptom that has always been my first sign of pregnancy (i have two kids), I’m sitting over here prepping to take a pregnancy test when I google “nexplanon symptoms after two years” I am slightly disappointed I’m probably not pregnant but calling my doctor to remove this asap.

Amy-Kate says:

Yes that sounds similar to what I went through, the phantom pregnancy symptoms are definitely an emotional roller-coaster though aren’t they! Hope you get sorted soon.

Amy-Kate x

17. Danielle
    Danielle says:

Hi,

I’ve been think I’m currently experiencing the same as a lot of you. I had my implant in for three years with no problems, it was fantastic and never had a problem. I had t changed in May 2017 and I’ve recently been having pain in my left breast, soreness by the implant area, mood swings, currently feel like if someone was to touch me I’d cry. Feeling quite depressed and worried all the time. Again feeling sick and some small lumps. I’m not ruling out it could be something more serious with the lumps and pain under armpit but also seem to have everything everyone else is experiencing. Will be going back to the doctors to see if I can resolve it. Thanks for some reassurance I wasn’t going completely mad and that I’m manically depressed!

Hi Danielle,
      The first few worked so well for me too! I hope you can get it sorted, it does all seem like similar types of side effects others have felt. Hope you feel better soon, Amy-Kate x

• Olwyn
      Olwyn says:

Hi Danielle, I was wondering how you’re getting on now?
      I’ve had 4 rounds of Implanon and I’m now 1 1/2 yrs into Nexplanon, I’ve only had 9 consecutive days without bleeding or spotting and I’ve been so depressed of late- not like me at all! I’m a bit older than most on here at 42 but your symptoms are so similar to mine. I’ve had a lump in my left armpit for a few years – had it checked and it’s either swollen lymph nodes – (one dr) or a fatty growth ( different dr) I haven’t been concerned but the past week my left breast is very tender and because I can now see the lump, I’m getting a mammogram tomorrow- and a smear -yay fab day! Getting the implant out next week. Did your sore breast subside on removal? I wish I’d found this post a week ago, maybe I’d have gotten some sleep! Thank you so much Amy-Kate for posting x

18. Miranda
    Miranda says:

I have had the nexplanon for 2 yrs 9 months. I have had mood swings, sore breast, my nipples get dark And a little longer than normal. My last period was Dec. 16, 2018. I’ve taken pregnancy test some had 6 faints lines 2 had negative. I get it taken out in May 11. 3 year mark. I have really bad mood swings and I’m emotional. What would I do?

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Miranda, Definitely make an appointment with your doctor if you haven’t already, there’s no point being miserable for a few months if you don’t have to be! The phantom pregnancy symptoms are such a rollercoaster too aren’t they. Amy-Kate x

19. Rebecca
    Rebecca says:

Hi, I have had the implant for two years, no previous issues, but for a few weeks now I’ve been having pains in my implant arm and my whole arm will go numb on and off for days. I had to google to see what everyone is saying About these late symptoms but I’m booking in with my gp tomorrow after reading this as it’s becoming unbearable, Thank you!

Hi Rebecca,

No problem! I hope you get an appointment sorted. These things can be really disconcerting can’t they. Best wishes, Amy-Kate x

20. Ellie
    Ellie says:

Hello,

I am glad I stumbled across this page as it’s gave me the answer I was searching for….

I’ve had the nexplanon implant for just over 3 years now, it expired last week. Glad I seen it through to the end.

When I first had my implant inserted I had irregular bleeding for the first year, acne spots that were very sore and would mostly appear on my back and neck. Terrible back ache through the night and also night sweats which surprisingly I haven’t seen anyone else mention. I think it was the hormones almost sweating out of me. I wasn’t hot and I never had a temperature I’d just wake up in a pool of sweat (very unpleasant).

I’ve been experiencing severe visual migraines (partially losing my vision) and it’s got to a point where they have become so frequent I’ve missed a lot of time off work. I believe this could be because of the nexplanon implant. My body has always had issues with hormonal contraceptive, that’s why I was offered the implant as it’s supposed to be more ‘safe’ for people with a history of migraines and it was my last option before the coil. However they’ve become worse specially on the 3rd year.

Shame because I’ve been lucky not to experience any bleeding once I got the first year out the way… it’s also been 100% successful in preventing any pregnancy and it’s been so nice to not have to worry!

But after reading other people’s experiences and realising it definitely is the implant causing my symptoms I’m not having it replaced… since it has expired I have felt terrible! Incredibly weak, tired, spots have come back in anger all over my back, neausea and stomach pain but no bleeding yet…. all I can think is this must be my body trying to regulate itself after the hormones have dropped. Really hoping everything goes back to normal once’s it out!

Good luck girls. Shame men get off easy 😉 without having to experience any of these hormonal nuisances!

• ChrisRod
      ChrisRod says:

I’ve had the same issue as you and didn’t think it was the implant. I didn’t think the implant was making me sweat so much within the first 2 years wow makes so much sense now. I was also so depressed and moody to the point I just wanted to be left alone all the time. I finally had it removed today after having it for over 3 years. Let’s see if my mood changes for the better now.

• Kim
        Kim says:

For almost three years I have been having hit flashes and now my implant needs to be replaced this year in August and now I’m on my third period in one month noticed I am excessively mad or I want to lay in bed and cry.

21. Kait
    Kait says:

I’ve had mine for 2.5 years. Had the pregnancy symptoms earlier this year. However, besides the once a year bleeding, I have bled every month since October. And this month it seems like it’s been going on for weeks. It’ll stop for a few days, then come right back. Smh.

• Lyn
      Lyn says:

Exactly the same with mine. I been bled every month since october too Then right now its like every week stop for a week then come back. And noticed i lose weight since my period start. I had this nexplanon for 2.4 years.

22. Shelly
    Shelly says:

Hey ladies
    So glad i found this post, thought i was going mad!!
    Had Nexplannon 2 years 10 months ago and for two weeks now i have had THE most sore boobs, even having a bra on hurts, and taking it off…whoaaa, ouch!
    I’ve been getting fluttering movements in my abdomen and feel sick alot (had three kids, so these sypmtoms have put the fear of god into me…definately do not want anymore children!).
    As for weight gain i have put on 2 stone but this didn’t start until 1 1/2 years of the implant being in yet no changes in diet or exercise!
    I’m now a sore boobed fat pants and hate it!!!

23. Cate
    Cate says:

So glad I found this post! I am 20 years old and have had this implant for about 2 years! For the first year and a half I loved it! No periods, no cramps, it felt great! After experiencing pain in my arm today I went on google to see if it was normal! After seeing your post about all the other symptoms I now see why I’ve been getting so cranky, and emotional and tired and acne I’ve never had before!I’m for sure going to get this taken out but wondering if you recommend I should switch to the pill?

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Cate, I don’t think it’s for me to recommend – I don’t have any medical qualifications – but get your DR to go over your options with you! I’m thinking about maybe going on the coil next, but we will see! Best wishes, Amy-Kate x

24. Ayesha
    Ayesha says:

Hi!
    im so glad that i found your post..i have been using implanon for 2 years now n i started to see a lot of pimples on my face which bothers me a lot. Before this whenever i had pimples after few times of cleansing they wld all be gone. But now i just dont knw why everything that i try doesnt seems to improve my skin condition. In addition, sometimes i get so tired and sleepy that i wld feel like sleeping the whole day. Do u think that these two symptoms caused by the implant? Wld really appreciate your reply. Thank you so much for ur time!

Amy-Kate says:

Hi Ayesha, both the fatigue and the pimples are symptoms that can be caused by the implant yes! The only thing I would say is if the tiredness is really causing you a problem go to your doctors, as it can also be caused by a number of other things! Amy-Kate x

25. T.mil
    T.mil says:

Hi, i have had nexplannon almost 2 years. Here lately i have felt so down, so depressed like i have went to the lowest of the lows. Things i dont even want to think about have crept into my mind. Ive always been a laid back happy person. But here lately ive just complained about everything. I feel so angry and down all the time. Always negative i feel like ive lost myself. I have absolutely no motivation for anything because i feel there is no use i will fail. I cry so much because im so mad at myself. I dont know what to do.Is this due to nexplanon?

26. Stacey
    Stacey says:

Reminds me off my problems! I’m currently on my 2nd implant which has nearly been in 2 years! Was ready to get it out in first year due to constantly spotting but then it calmed now. Been having regular periods now for quite awhile but since before xmas been very heavy. Been to doctors, they adamant it’s not the implant so putting me through tests as my womb is swallon too and my iron levels are dropping!
    Wondering whether I should get it taking out, maybe starting not to agree with me unless my ultrasound shows something!
    I usually know the side affects/had them all before with it but these periods are so bad sometimes I don’t want to go to work!

27. Loriann
    Loriann says:

I’ve had my nexplanon since July 29 2016 . I’ve been having bad cramping and my Bach hurts it’s been hurting since yesterday . And then I also got a bruise like thing by where my implant is . Any ideas why this could be ? And I’ve literally have been peeing like crazy that I have peed on my self twice

28. Kajira Murray
    Kajira Murray says:

Hello my name is kajira murray and I was on the nexplanon for about 8 months 2 years ago.and what you was experiencing is what i have experience with the phantom pregnancy symptom and that was late December 2017 to January of this year 2018 I’m irregular I been gaining weight and have tender breast that sometimes pinched me.i been trying to.conceive and can’t because of how I’m not regular since I been on it losing weight is hard right now I weight 224 prediebetic I been trying to lose weight i.wanted to be.to the weight I was 120 before the whole birth control happened I have dry skin.on my body I be.thinking about sudicide and I be having pain I wish I never have it hurts to get up.out of bed since I’m.over weight. But thank you for letting us know about your experience with the inplant.

Hi Kajira,

If you haven’t already, please go to your doctor, especially with your low mood. Hope you feel better soon.

Amy-Kate x

29. hillary
    hillary says:

My girlfriend had her implant for 3yrs without any problem but when she replaced it with the same she is now having mood swing she does not even what to here me or even to torch her is a problem is this normal? Advice me please.

Hi Hillary,
      It is definitely possible it could be from her implant. Moods swings are considered to be a common side effect.
      Amy-Kate x

30. Kelcie
    Kelcie says:

I get my birth control out in june and I my breast have been really sore which hasn’t happened to this extent before. I’m freaking out. I’ve had my period both full and heavy this month. I have cramps too. I don’t per a lot but it’ll be 3 weeks Friday since I last had sex. Could I be pregnant?

Hi Kelcie,

The implant supposedly offers protection beyond the 3 year mark, but if you’re worried go to the doctors or take a test. It’s not impossible but highly unlikely that you are pregnant.

Amy-Kate x

31. Rebecca MacDormott
    Rebecca MacDormott says:

I have had the implant in for 15 months and almost at the one year mark i was diagnosed with gerd. I get bad headaches axiety and losing some hair. Not sure if its normal. And my mood swings are bad. Could the implant be whats czuing my gerd.

Hi Rebecca,

Gastrointestinal issues are a report side effect but I can’t find anything specific to GERD. The hair loss is considered a common side effect (alopecia) as are the mood swings. If it’s not working for you, definitely go see your doctor! Amy-Kate x

32. Vanessa
    Vanessa says:

Hi I’ve been on the implant for about 2.5 years. My implant expires on October 2018. The first year of having the implant I didn’t really get my period that often. The second year I started to notice the periods were getting drastic, some were light some were extremely heavy and they would come and go as they pleased. I wasn’t too worried because I read online that this is common. I got my last period around the beginning of April and then had some spotting mid April. I’m a little paranoid because yesterday May 6 I woke up with very sore breasts and I felt nauseous the entire day. Today I’m feeling a bit better but I’m still worried that I may be pregnant. I have a strange feeling in my stomach and my pee seems to be cloudy. My back is some what aching. I just wanted to tell my story and see if anyone else has gone through this. I’ll try to update you all on my experience.

33. Hayley
    Hayley says:

Hi. I’ve had the implant in for nearly 2 years now. It started off all ok but now I’m hitting the two year mark I’ve started to have spots on my forehead which are really sore and angry. Tried everything on the market to to get rid. My mood swings was really bad I would have a good day then 3 bad days where I would just cry. My partner put it down to stress and depression. Just recently I started to bleed with discharge and have painful cramps in my stomach and Lower back, As well as having nausea. I’ve just been to see my doctor and she advised to take the implant out as my hormones levels are all over the place and with the implant pumping more hormones it’s not helping. I’m booked in to have the implant out and using alternative contraception. She prescribed me some strong painkillers for the cramps and cream for the spots. Fingers crossed I’ll get back to how I was. Definitely each to there own on the implant but definitely not agreed with me. X

34. joanne hardy
    joanne hardy says:

Hi girls just got in from the drs with this same issue I am due to have my implant removed in august, I have terrible ovary pain I bleed everyother week I’m having pain after sex the hole shebang and I am so so tired. I’m so worried I have the signs of overian cancer so went to go told ineed swobs totoaly dismissed my suggestion of the implant causing the problems even tho my hubby told me the same symptoms happened the last time it was due for change.i do breast feed so attributed the bleeding to that but boy I cannot wait to have this out of my body thanks for this post x

35. Patty1608
    Patty1608 says:

Hi, I’m 17 and I’ve had the implant in for 2 years now and I’ve been experienceing soreness in my breasts, I’ve also gained weight.. I haven’t had my period in 2 years and didn’t know what was wrong, should I get the implant out?

36. A
    A says:

I have been exactly the same! It’s so great to know that I’m not alone in this. Sometimes I won’t even get a period I’ll just get the symptoms of one as in like at the beginning so; headaches they can be pretty bad but recently I had some bad cramps and nausea which affected me at work. I’ve had the implant for almost two years but I am definitely making an appointment to get it removed and go on the pill. Thank you for writing this blog it has really put my mind at ease!

37. Katie Maybury
    Katie Maybury says:

I have this implant too. Second year in. Due out next November but considering asking to have it out sooner. My pre-exisiting depression and anxiety have gotten worse, put on weight and my skin is awful. I’m miserable and unhappy for no apparent reason. Got a great job. Amazing boyfriend. I’m worried my doctor won’t take me seriously depsite my worsening suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. Anyone else like this?

38. Sushma rai
    Sushma rai says:

Hello i am 26 years now and its around 2 years having implant inside my arm. I m depressed nowdays without any reason. I became very emotional. Luckily I donot have breast pain or gaining weight problem.but the biggest problem i do have is mood swings,depressed and sleep. after having implant i never have experienced of waking up fresh. Everytime i feel tired and even 12 hours sleep not enough for me. I am tired of it now. And planing to remove my implant.

39. Jacey
    Jacey says:

Hi! I’ve had my nexplanon in my arm since April 2nd of this year. Since then, I’ve had sex 3 times with my boyfriend, but we used a condom every single time. My boobs are a bit tender on the very outside edges, and sensitive on the nipple. I feel bloated a lot. I overthink so much, so I’ve constantly been looking in the mirror at my stomach. What do you think? Please help.

Hi Jacey,

It sounds like you’re having typical phantom pregnancy symptoms, if you’ve had the implant and used a condom you’ve basically doubled up and the chances of you being pregnant would be incredibly slim. If you’re worried take a pregnancy test, but I would think you are just experiencing side effects of the implant.

Amy-Kate x

40. Anne
    Anne says:

Hi! I’ve had my contraceptive implant since January this year and started noticing a decrease in breast in April… I’m not entirely sure if it’s the implant but I can’t see it being anything else. I’m considering taking the contraceptive implant out because I really want my breast back. What’s your take on it? Do you think there’s a chance of my breast growing back if I remove my implant? Thanks in advance.

41. Hannah Kern
    Hannah Kern says:

I’ve had the implant since March—I spotted the first couple of months and then my period stopped all together. The last week in June (when my period would have been expected before I got the implant) I was nauseous and had an upset stomach, I also felt like I was going to constantly gag. The same thing happened exactly a month later in July. Did anyone experience something similar? I don’t see myself being able to deal with this for 3 years.

42. Stacey
    Stacey says:

Hi! I’m happy to come across this post. I’ve had nexplanon for 3 and a half years and i’m having it taken out next week. After the stress of moving countries I never had the time or money to get it removed on the 3 year mark so I’m itching to get this thing out my arm. After having it in for a year and a half I started to get bad nausea and breakouts. My periods have become so irregular when using this birth control. Even after the birth control has expired for 6 months, I still get nausea and generally don’t feel like myself some days, I also haven’t had a period in over 6 months which is concerning. I cannot wait to have this out my arm and go back to being on the pill. I hope it solves my issues and I feel like we should have more information on the long term side affects of this birth control. Reading this post did put my racing mind at ease as i’ve been going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with me!

43. Sarah james
    Sarah james says:

Good morning ladies,

Thankyou for this new insight I have found I’m sure I have found my answer like most I thought surely I cannot have side effects this long after the rod was put in????
    This is my 4th implant and I am 2 years 6 months with the current!.. since the start of the year I have been pretty ill I have all the worst things you’d imagine from severe dizzy spells ,nausea, headaches ,anxiety (which I have never suffered before), fuzzy vision skin problems acne!.. Iv never had this issue as a teenager let alone a 29 year old adult!.. fatigue,no periods-too very heavy , sore breasts it feels as tho the list is endless…. I’m just exhausted with it!.of course it doesn’t happen all at the one time but every day I have more than one of these symptoms!…. I do not feel great at all, I have been to see a doctor twice both times said the suggest it’s done to a stressful lifestyle yes I have a lot on my plate but so does most people don’t they?? It’s life!…. I have no children and never been pregnant but every time I ask they ask if I’m sure I’m not pregnant .. which I’m not Iv had blood taken ,ecg done ect nothing I’m pretty fit and healthy…. then it occurred the only thing I have left to look at is this implant could it be this causing me so many issues??? I didn’t think it was possible but after reading this I’m nearly convinced it could well be!.. I’m going to see the doctor again next week and I’m taking this with me!
    See what they have to say!

44. Marybel Heredia
    Marybel Heredia says:

hello,
    It hasnt quite been 2 years for me its been 1 but i feel the same symptoms. Do you think its normal?
    I don’t think this is the right birth control for me. It scares me too easily!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!