If you search for Deed Poll information online you will come across reams and reams of information.

I am not intending on getting married and this was something we wanted to do for a while but I struggled to find much information about our specific scenario:

  • I am in the UK and I want to change my surname to match the same as my boyfriend’s/partner’s

I found the general advice really hard to understand because it seemed too simple.

What do I need?

Do I need an un-enrolled, or an enrolled, deed poll?

Do I need a statutory declaration or not???

After a lot of reading, believe it or not, the answer really is as simple as this… write (or type) on a piece of paper:

I [old name] of [your address] have given up my name [old name] and have adopted for all purposes the name [new name].

Signed as a deed on [date] as [old name] and [new name] in the presence of [witness 1 name] of [witness 1 address], and [witness 2 name] of [witness 2 address].

[your new signature], [your old signature]

[witness 1 signature], [witness 2 signature]

And get two people to witness by signing and printing their name.

That’s it. Done. Congratulations Namey McNameFace, you’re official.

You can start contacting organisations like your employer, your bank and change your social media straight away.

It’s so simple it doesn’t seem like that can really be “official”, right?

How can a document you wrote yourself really be considered legitimate?

Legally it is! You don’t NEED to enroll your deed poll and you don’t need anyone else to create one for you. You can do it yourself and it’s no different than paying one of the websites to do it for you.


I have discovered that in practice a lot of organisations will also expect additional evidence of your name change.

It’s then a chicken and egg scenario, because you need at least one piece of evidence proving you’re using your new name… which you haven’t got yet!

For that reason, I decided to do something that provides those organisations with more confidence.

I did the following:

  1. Downloaded the enrolled Deed Poll Pack from gov.uk
  2. I printed a copy of the deed poll template (LOC020) and the Statutory Declaration (LOC021)
  3. I took the Deed Poll template and completed it in front of two friends who then signed it as my witnesses
  4. I took the Statutory Declaration to my friend who has known me over 10 years, I took my current passport as proof of citizenship, and my friend then partially completed it ready for signing at a solicitors
  5. I made an appointment for me and my friend at a local solicitors for a solicitor to witness and swear in the Statutory Declaration, most solicitor’s have a set fee for this
  6. My friend and I went to the solicitors together, I took my current passport as proof of citizenship, my Deed Poll (LOC020) and the partially completed Statutory Declaration (LOC021), the oath was sworn and the document was signed and stamped
  7. The solicitor charged my £5

This meant that I had my own Deed Poll using the government template and a sworn in Statutory Declaration.

This allowed me to provide two documents as evidence of my name change to provide the organisations.

At this moment in time I’ve not enrolled my name change, but I can in the future by sending off my completed forms and the court fee.

What order to update organisations in?

I decided to create an excel sheet of all the organisations I deal with and them give them all a priority number, as an example:

Priority 1

  • Passport
  • Driving Licence

Updating these two first then meant that I had two proof of identification with my new name on which made the next groups a lot easier to achieve.

Priority 2

  • Employer
  • HMRC
  • Bank accounts
  • Investment accounts
  • Electoral Roll
  • Council Tax
  • Insurance accounts
  • v5 logbook

Priority 3

  • Loyalty cards
  • Regularly used apps
  • Regularly used online shops
  • Social media accounts

I hope that you found this useful, and although a Deed Poll should suffice I personally found this way of doing it a lot simpler.

Important: I am in no way legally or financially trained, so this does not constitute legal or financial advice.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *